Saturday, November 6, 2010

FInally, a night out on the town...

The wife and I finally decided to check out the Zug nightlife. Or lack thereof. WOW, for a Saturday night it was DEAD. But hey, we found a surprisingly decent Mexican restaurant. And after having sworn we'd never go to the movies in Switzerland (20 bucks a ticket will definitively change one's opinion of what passes as quality cinema these days), we decided to pop into the Seehof and watch 'R.E.D.'

And it was freakin' AWESOME. And I don't think that was just because I hadn't been to a movie is Switzerland since last April. Seriously great movie. A little 'by the numbers', but it hit every number perfectly. I hope they make more.

Natch, I still HATE that in Switzerland there is some unwritten codified LAW that every theater must break the movie in two and practically blare at you from the screen to go buy popcorn and ice cream during the completely inappropriate "intermission". Come on! This ain't 5-act Shakespeare in-the-round! Its a freaking 100 minute movie. We don't need a break. And you ruin what little enjoyment is left after taking out a mortgage for tickets by cutting off mid-scene, turning the lights on, and flashing popcorn and coke like a psychedelic flick from a 60's interrogation camp. Come on Switzerland.

Much as I am dying to go see Paranormal Activity 2, I won't (at least here) because what better way to massively screw up a tense edge-of-your-seat scary flick than by turning up the lights halfway through the second reel. Idiots.

Although I guess that for every 100 things that Switzerland gets completely right, natural law dictates that they have to spectacularly ruin one thing. And that one thing would be the movie-going experience.

Tells you how great the movie R.E.D. was, that even after all that, we loved it. I see myself watching this one twice a year. That good.

3 comments:

jpdiddy said...

Too funny! I went out and watched it the day it came out. LOVED IT as well!. Also just came back with Emily and the girls from watching MegaMind in IMAX 3D! There are still a few pleasures left here in CA for the time being. An absolute great one to watch (when you make your next trip to the states that is..). And on another perfectly wonderful week of joy...I'm typing this away on the new 11" MacBook Air....I'm in love with this little thing!

Random Poet said...

I plan to go see RED this weekend. BTW, Zagreb is getting 4th Multiplex, and this one's gonna have IMAX tech, so I expect to see you here soon :)

Random Poet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.