Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So far, so good. We apparently are not crazy.

One more step forward on our quest to adopt here in Hungary. Monday, Agi & met with the Agency-appointed family psychologist for a few hours. It is required of all applicants-- before any of you think that the meeting was called to counter any possible assumptions that, we as 'crazy mormons with 4 kids already' are a threat to adoptable children everywhere. Whew.

Apparently we are pretty normal--in fact, they made no bones about telling us that we are really now near the top of the list, thanks to our willingness to take a girl of Roma (gypsy) descent up to six years old. Sad fact of life in Hungary, that the vast majority of people over here are fairly prejudiced when it comes to gypsy children--even when adopting.

There are two more home visits scheduled--one for the psychologist to meet the kids, and another for the Agency to determine whether or not our home is appropriate for children. Guess I better ditch the shark-filled kiddy pool in the basement, and that sandbox of broken glass and cigarette butts that I gave the kids for Christmas. Ashton will be heartbroken.

This has all moved REALLY quickly. Where the typical wait time is 18+ months, they are frankly telling us that we will likely have our new child before summer starts. Considering we officially started 4 weeks ago, this is QUICK! Offhand the psychologist mentioned as we were leaving that at the group home where she works, she has a set of siblings consisting of a 6 year old girl and twin 5 year old boys. Hmmmmmm..... Ouch. Agi is now stabbing me in the back of the head with a fork.

We'll keep ya posted....

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I am so excited for you guys!!! Too bad about having to get rid of your Christmas presents... :) Too hilarious! I'm excited that you have started posting pictures! I can't believe how big your kids are getting! I looked at the picture of all of us at our Iowa Reunion and Andrew is taller than me! Nutty nuts!

The "A" Palmers said...

No kidding on the height thing--Andrew is now taller than his mom, and a few inches away from reaching me (admittedly not a difficult thing to do, since I inherited exactly ZERO of the Palmer height genes...)

Ed said...

I also want more children, but do not want anymore infants (its a selfish thing). Next time I see you, I will have to hit you up for the nitty-gritty on how exacty adoption works...especially how finacially soluable does one need to be in order to by pass the infant-induced sleepless nights (I know--at best a shallow angle [the finacial one]--but hey, I haven't fogot that you have met the guy)
ejp

Ed said...

I just like to comment no people's bloggs, for no other reason than to be able to see: "speacial ed said..."

That is totally RETARDED!