Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Garage capers...

I hate being up at 4 AM. While there are worse things in life (ha-believe me I know), being awake when you'd rather not be awake is still a mildly irritating form of suckitude. My fault though. I conked out on my bed at about 8PM last night, thus ensuring that by around 3 AM I'd be wide awake.

What was I thinking? Oh yeah, I made the mistake of lying down to thumb through an old "Punisher" comic of mine that I'd unearthed via my just-completed three day garage restoration project. Andrew really wanted to read it, and I figured I should go through it again just to make sure there wasn't any inappropriate language in it (there wasn't). Ha. Never mind Frank Castle's endless and hugely creative methods of eliminating gangsters and other assorted "unpunished" criminals splotched across the glossy pages, I'm worried about the language :-). Stems from me being a profane little punk as a teenager, and me wanting to save Andrew from that particularly odious habit (trust, me, hard to break, even after 20 years)... In a nutshell--no, he's not going to get to read it, even though the language was charmingly innocent--(seriously!) along the lines of "stop it! You jerk!" coming from the from the supposed hard-core mobster type, just prior to being tossed into the bear pit and getting wacked-via-hungry-polar-bear at the NYC zoo... Funny! Just how I imagined the Sopranos verbalizing their inner frustrations when facing imminent death at the paws of a furry white disembowler.

SO. Apparently the Punisher's Methods of Mayhem have a tranquilizing affect. I was out like a light, and thus up at 3 AM.

Natch, this is only about an hour after Agi had rolled into bed, ensuring that waking up and doing some light emailing/net surfing/news reading in bed is not going to fly. I tried to just lay there and will my eyes back shut, but was treated to a charming late nite/early morning visit from Ali, who just woke up from a nightmare involving spiders. Thanks Aidan!

Apparently, knowing his sister has quite the aversion to our friends of arachnoid persuasion, he laid out a fake one on her bed last night. Super.

So Ali's now climbing into the center of our bed, meaning there are now TWO women ensuring I am confined to an ever-shrinking 7 inches of bed space on the far left hand edge of my Serta. Thankfully, that lasted only 5 minutes. Ali noticed the kitten in our room and decided that with its protection, she'd be safe from the Furry Ones in her own bed. SO back she went. Leaving an even more awake dad behind and a pretty grumbly Agi.

WHere was I? O yeah. Sleepy, Punisher, garage project. That';s actually where I wanted to focus. My just completed three day garage project.

Before:



During:





After:



Starting Friday, I moved (with nominal help from me boys) all of our accumulated stuff from the garage out onto the RV pad. It was nice to see the newly spacious garage bare to the walls. Then, later that evening, I picked up a U-haul trailer and spent a couple hours finally emptying out our Spanish Fork storage unit. Saturday morning , all of THAT stuff was unloaded and added to the pile next to the house. Our yard now looked like THE white trash yard sale to end all white trash yard sales. All we were missing was Ashton sitting on the porch, banjo pickin'...

I spent the rest of Saturday painting the garage. And by paint, I mean TRY TO KILL MYSELF. Holy crap, that was a lot of real estate to cover with a brush and a roller. You know that flimsy top rung on a step ladder? THe one that always says in big white letters "DO NOT STAND OR SIT ON THIS AREA"? YEEEAAAAAh. Now picture a sizable dude like myself balanced on his toes, on the top of said step, straining upward with a roller in one hand and a paint tray in the other slapping paint on the ceiling. Good times, good times.

At that point I had pushed through to Saturday evening, where, after a full day of hauling heavy garbage and painting, I was looking at the finished walls and decidedly UNFINISHED ceiling, and trying to rationalize how good the place would really look if I just went ahead and left the ceiling coated in spots of primer, spackle, & finishing tape...

It was tempting. Agi was particularly evil about it too--purring--and I quote: "It is just the garage. IT looks fine. Just leave the ceiling for a later project...". But noo! I girded up the proverbial loins and spent the next 3 hours, until 11PM, doing the ceiling too. Happy I did.

I spent all day yesterday moving our crap back in, nicely arranged, maximizing space, organizing, etc.... you know, all that TLC-channel twaddle, and now I have by all accounts a pretty decent looking garage. WIth my own white-trash cracka office in the far corner, and neat walls of organized boards & hooks. I still have a huge pile of yet-to-be-unpacked luggage, but at least it is a well-organized, feng-shui-ish pile...

And this takes me back to the present-- wide awake at (now) 530 AM Tuesday morning, after crashing way to early Monday night.

No comments: