Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happy Procrastinatory New Year!

I had 5 days of vacation last week. Or so I thought. Agi and I had some very specific tasks to attend to regarding a project we've been debating on and discussing for going on 2 years now. We decided to finally move forward, so I officially took off 5 days from work. And of course (thank you, Law of Murphy...)events at work guaranteed that my five-days-off turned into 5-days-off-in-your-dreams... Yep. I ended up spending just about as much time at the office and on the computer as I usually do.

THe good news is, that despite all the drama at the office, I still was able to get out there and start the process on this other event. And I guess we'll announce it now. Agi and I are going to try and adopt while we are here in Hungary. We got our paperwork filled out and are officially on The List. Meaning that if a situation came up that meets our stipulations, we get a call tomorrow.

We still have a few other appointments to take care--(visit with the psyschologist, medical checkup, writing our family histories for the state agency, etc...) but the bottom line is, WE ARE ON THE CLOCK! I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Agi and I are very, very excited about this.

IT isn't a decision we made lightly. We both feel our family isn't complete yet, but health issues really complicate future pregnancies for Agi. This is the perfect, location, and opportunity for us to do this. I think we are in Hungary for this reason.

We feel strongly about adopting a little girl. We've put in for an older girl, up to 6 and half (by Hungarian law we are only allowed to adopt a child at least 18 months younger than our natural-born youngest). We've also indicated we would gladly take siblings as well, so there is a chance we could get two sisters, or a girl and a little brother. We are putting it in the Lord's hands. Our options really go up, as most Hungarians wanting to adopt typically want perfect newborn infants that are non-gypsy (Roma). We feel better abut finding a child who others may have looked over. It is a sad state of affairs, but indications here are that if a child reaches 6 or 7 and still isn't adopted, chances are they never will be, and will spend their childhoods either in a state-run institution or flitting from foster home to foster home.

So that's our big news. Keep us, and our new daughter(s)-wherever they are right now- in your prayers.

Aaron & Agi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What exciting news! I have a lot of admiration for people who are willing to adopt, and I'm sure your blessings will be mighty. Can't wait to meet a new member of the family. Pictures will be a must when that happens!

Janene

Emily P. said...

I am SO VERY excited for you guys!! I can't wait to meet your new little one. So I guess the race is on eh? Who's little girl will get her first?!? Sorry, I'm way overly competitive. Congrats, can't wait to hear more!!

Stacy said...

WOW! That is great!!! What a blessing for that child(ren)! We will definitely keep you ALL in our prayers! What great news!!! Why do I always get teary-eyed?! *SMILES*