Friday, December 21, 2007

MY BIRTHDAY BOY...

Well well. ITs 1236 AM in Budapest and I am now the officially proud owner of a teenager. Andrew turns 13 today. He joins Carina as the only other teenager in the extended Palmer family brood, and Agi & I join Janene and BIll as two more aged, cantankerous parents of said teens. Andrew's been waiting for this day for a long time now. Somehow he thinks it will bestow on him magical mystical teenage powers of moodiness, superhuman strength, and the ability to talk back to his parents with no repercussions. Ha. Looking forward to bursting that bubble.

In all seriousness, he is an extremely good kid. Not many of us have 13 year olds who set good examples for US. He's MORE than happy to point out my weaknesses, whether it be occasionally missing family prayer in the morning or muttering an unmentionable term under my breath when I think no one is around. By his count I owe him a couple hundred bucks from the swear jar. Not my proudest habit. But I am glad he strives to keep me up and up.

The time here in Budapest has been good for the kids. I think they are probably closer to us as a family than they would be otherwise, being in a strange country. Not so strange anymore, after four years, but those early times were great in helping them bond together.

So 13. I have to actually work a little tomorrow (Christmas parties, lunches, and recognition dinners and the like) so I took him out tonight, just the two of us, to grab a bite and see National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets. Utterly predictable, with kinda trite cheesy dialogue, and absolutely loads of fun. I wish Hollywierd would crank out more of these--exciting action flicks with no sex and profanity. Just non-stop action that makes every 13 year old want to study archeology and put on an Indiana Jones hat. We had a great time.

Time to go to bed. In the next 36 hours I have to: entertain 100 distributors of my company's products, prepare a nice presentation for said company, work on the 2008 budgets for 6 countries, celebrate a 13 year old's birthday, and put together a Christmas program for Sunday that has been eluding me for the last two months. Procrastination, thy name is Aaron.

3 comments:

Emily P. said...

Happy Birthday Andrew! We miss you all!

Stacy said...

Yes... ditto... Happy Birthday, Andrew! Hope you had fun out on a man-date with your dad!

Also... "procrastination thy name is Stacy"... I hear you there... Hey... there's always TOMORROW! :) heh heh heh. I've even blogged about this very topic!

Have you seen "The Bourne Ultimatum"? Awesomeness at its' finest with no sex and all that crap they think they have to put into movies!

Janene said...

Aaron, you're so lucky to have a teenage BOY! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
different than a girl, believe me. We love Carina and she is such a great kid, but when those teen mood swings hit...jump back! ha ha! She's just 4 short months away from turning 14 and starting school dances, and just 7 short months away from being a freshman in High School. Will we make it? Actually, I think 12-13 were tough, but as we near 14, it's getting a little less dramatic. Maybe a turning point?